Friday 9 May 2014

Portraits of Lives Less Known (No. 1)



My father was a boyo, so he was 
with his hand in the currant sack
sneaking a thick slick of yellow butter 
on spicy-sweet brack
oh he was a boyo, so he was.

Here is my father: 
a thin boy on a bike 
with a cow's lick and an easy smile, 
bone-white. God, his sweet unlined
St Anthony face. 

And here is my father, writing with a 
fist clenched thick
and reading aloud with finger-spaces 
between words.
But when he sings 
his half-song voice becomes 
a song full-sung
of Derry and Wicklow and Mayo and more,
of love and green fields and murder and shame, 
and his quivering holy notes soar. 

Here he is again: 
painting the Tyne Bridge green 
or digging a road greased like a seal's wet pelt. 
The 4am sky is magpie blue 
and we are in bed somewhere else 
forty motorway miles away 
dreaming of our daddy.  

My father doesn’t drink because it was
No Good For Him, oh no 
No Good At All. 
When he drank he said he was 
dead to the turning world 
numb to the seasons and the 
loveliness of trees.

Today he pruned a tangle of gorse 
heavy-hung with flowers and flies.
Today he cut the summer's last roses,
petals curled and browning,
and gave them to a neighbour. 

***

There is no word in Irish for Yes
only I am, I do. 

My father is. My father does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment